For jazz guitarists & jazz improvisors:
So I'm trying to learn something new everyday by documenting what I learned from watching a YouTube video. Today I looked for something from Barney Kessel and watched this blues performance.
1) Use guide tones to punctuate double stop melody lines
2) Top note pedal point with lower moving lines are great for blues phrases
3) Use bass pedal point with constant structure major triads to lead into main melody section
4) Harmonize melody with block chords for a fuller sound in a trio setting
5) Use single note phrases between block chord melodies
6) Create intensity by playing repeated sweep-picked phrases
7) Create more relaxed statements using bluesy phrases
8) Be open to hitting the fretboard as a rhythmic fill idea between chord melody ideas
9) Use 3 notes voicings to punctuate blues single note lines
10) For high energy soloing, use tremolo picking on chords and a more chord melody approach
If you're interested to learn more in depth, lessons are available worldwide via Skype & in person in Kuala Lumpur.
Register for the 2-month jazz guitar masterclass here:http://www.azsamad.com/jazz
❤ If you liked this post, please Like it or Tweet it! =)