1. What's your latest project?
Trying to get a working group together, and writing tunes for it.
I have two CDs for sale:
1) WVC Trio + 1 "ELEVEN" (2009)
2) Claude Diallo Situation (feat Julian Chan) - LIVE AT NO BLACK TIE
First one was recorded when I was roped in as a +1 (no relation to Google Plus) in the pre-existing trio. The second album was recorded, while the Claude Diallo Situation band was touring in Asia. We recorded it in NBT, and managed to release it last year in 2011.
I just DIY recorded a 6-piece solo saxophone improvised piece called KARMIC SUITE. I had an unfortunate experience recently, and this was my response to it. You can check it out at http://soundcloud.com/julianchanmusic/sets/karmic-suite
2. What inspires your music?
I would say "life itself". Somehow or the other, everything inspires my music and my playing. I find that there are many parallels in non-music aspects of life, with music.
3. What's your 5 Desert Island Albums? [ the five albums that you could listen on repeat forever]
- Kenny Garrett SONGBOOK
- Miles Davis KIND OF BLUE
- Dave Koz (this one is tough, I really liked most of his albums - his debut album DAVE KOZ, LUCKY MAN, HELLO TOMORROW, OFF THE BEATEN PATH)
- Glenn Gould BACH GOLDBERG VARIATIONS
- Cannonball Adderley (this one also tough one, got a few like KNOW WHAT I MEAN, THEM DIRTY BLUES, SOMETHING ELSE, BOSSA NOVA, etc)
4. Who's one artist/musician that you love but most people probably don't know of?
Antonio Hart, my professor in Queens College. Kicks anyone's butt on saxophone, and such a great musician and storyteller on the saxophone.
5. What's an advice you wish someone told you when you started in the arts?
Wouldn't have mattered. I stuck to my own instincts and conscience. So a lot of advice from many people would've gone through a thorough screening, and if it works for me I'll use it, if it doesn't I don't. LOL! I did what my heart has told me to do, so here I am. :)
If you liked this post, please Like it or Tweet it! =)